Heavy Metal Rally This Weekend 1/6/2023

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
N9AMI
(@n9ami)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

I was told by a little bird the Heavy Metal Rally is this weekend. Anyone with some fills please post here for folks. I did announce that it was happening on the West Coast AMI net tonight.

John McGrath N9AMI
AMI# 1488
Executive Director

Posted : 05/01/2023 4:16 am
N9AMI
(@n9ami)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

I heard from Ray on this, its the evening of the 7th ie this weekend. Most of activity on 75 meters after dark but of course crank up other bands if there is activity. Thats all I have hope to hear some of you on the air.

John McGrath N9AMI
AMI# 1488
Executive Director

Posted : 05/01/2023 5:56 pm
N9AMI
(@n9ami)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Kevin sent this over to me

Found the Heavy Metal Rally rules by Ray that he post back in 2005. See below!

Kevin, wa6jkn

Heavy Metal Rally Rules:

The rules for this year’s Heavy Metal Rally are the same as before, with one exception: Scoring: You get 1 point per contact on each different band. If you work the same station on both 80 and 160 it counts for two points. You get 1 additional point per contact if you are using all tube-type heavy metal. 1 point for each different state worked. 1 point for each letter or email received from Hams or SWLs with positive comments about a station’s signal or sound quality. So, if someone works 20 stations in 10 different states with a tube rig, the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states + 20 tube points = 40.

If two emails are received complaining that “KØXYZ” broke their S-meters but sounded darn good doing it, that’s 32 points total.

The winner should be running a rig weighing 250 pounds or running at least 250 watts. This includes big homebrew, military, and vintage commercial Ham gear, and Class E solid state rigs as long as they meet the qualifications. For example, some vintage Navy rigs weighed in at over 300 pounds, but only produced 100 watts of carrier—that’s still Heavy Metal! (The “or” statement is intended as an illustration, and should not be misread as an intent to keep someone out.)

You can’t win unless you’re running a Heavy Metal rig—NO exceptions!

This is Heavy Metal night! Everyone is welcome to participate with smaller rigs, but the winner needs to be using Heavy Metal.

Completed logs should be sent by email to Ray@ERmag.com or by US mail to the Electric Radio address printed inside the rear cover. Please have your point totals calculated when you send in your log, and be sure to mention the equipment used during the rally.

The winning top scorer this year will *probably* receive the Heavy Metal trophy. All participants sending in their logs will receive a nice participation certificate from Electric Radio, which will be similar to the certificate sent out in other years.

73, Ray, NØDMS

John McGrath N9AMI
AMI# 1488
Executive Director

Posted : 07/01/2023 5:21 pm
Share: